Signed, Sealed……

Tuesday and Wednesday were a major hump.  The tension was evident in the air, Damon was feeling the pressure.  The incredibly cold snap that was happening proved to be a fight to hang onto all the hard work that had been invested up to this point.  I had stayed overnight on-site Tuesday to keep it hydrated and curing, while Wednesday’s cement work on the beavertail was also at risk of improper curing because of the weather.  After Damon literally handled cement all day in bone-chilling temperatures, and managed with some offered help from friends, to hoist the massive and heavy rudder into place, it seemed best to continue a night watch again, though I worked in the morning.    We wrapped the beavertail as best we could with tarps and plastic and tuck tape, and put a flood light in the little makeshift tent to try the best we could to keep the chill off.  It was just a waiting game.

Another dusk at the boat works

Perfecting the finishing touches on the final layer of the cement patch, at dusk - notice where he also applied cement to the bottom of the keel -- cement had been damaged, so he cleaned it up, removed rust and cemented over to protect it.

The final cement patch right before applying the epoxy patch

Pre-epoxy patch - finished cement The smaller patch was already there, Damon just ground it down, and applied fresh for a stronger, prettier patch

Thursday was the day scheduled to put an epoxy patch over the cemented patch to make it quite nearly bomb-proof.  Again temperatures had us worried. So the application went on on Thursday afternoon, was tarped off again with some extra construction lights and a propane construction heater, and we all went home and crossed our fingers!!!

Friday morning, I was in the ferry line-up heading to work and wondering the status, when Russell, our boatworks/epoxy guy passed me and came over to tell me the RELIEVING news that the patch had held perfectly!!

Just finished epoxy patch, set up to set for the night

The finished and cured epoxy patch the next morning, PHEW!

And as a sneak peak — it’s final product….

What the patch looks like today! After copper painting

Final look at the FINISHED hull (this time around anyways!) Where it looks like paint is running, is just the glue from the epoxy patch. This actually bugs the perfectionist Damon.

TA DA!! And that’s the patch.  During curing periods, Damon worked tirelessly on the stern, a bent beavertail needed repaired, and WELL, as it holds the the rudder (which wasn’t even attached to the boat, as due to the damage).


About madlav

We're living our dream. Nestled in the Inside Passage of British Columbia's stunning Coastal region, we've just taken possession of a beautiful (to us) 45' ferro cement hulled sailboat. Ripped from her mooring during one of our strong storms and run aground, she encountered the only large rock on the beach. Today, she floats. With a temporary patch over the gouge, and tarps over her hatches, a broken rudder, missing wheelhouse, and stripped of pride, the Someday Lady is a battered boat. Optimists and visionaries, we believe that together we can restore the Someday Lady's original splendor, and make our home in her berth. Someday Lady, THIS is our journey!!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Signed, Sealed……

  1. Chris says:

    Very cool. Way to dive into your dreams.

  2. raven26 says:

    It’s important to be able to see past the immediate of a boat and into what she might be (with love, hard work, probably some blood, certainly some money). I salute you both for your work on your Lady. Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s